Thursday 26 September 2013

Vanilla sponge cake - Egg free!

I am fine with eggs but I know a heap of people are allergic/intolerant so I really wanted to share this with you. Food.com had done all the egg free and dairy free for me so all I had to do was try my gluten free flour mix in place of theirs and use honey in place of sugar so really they did all the really hard stuff for me ;) I adapted it from this recipe which I found while desperately searching the net fr an everything free sponge. THANK YOU!

Vanilla sponge cake


Ingredients


1 1/2 cups My gluten free flour mix

1 cup grated palm sugar or honey

1/3 cup oil (I use coconut oil)

1 cup water (or dairy free milk such as almond milk)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 - 2  teaspoon vanilla powder/extract

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar



Method



Preheat oven to 180°C Oil and line a round cake tin. (I use 20cm/8inch pan- but smaller or larger will just vary the height of the cake)
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Use an egg whisk to aerate- their is no need to sift the dry ingredients.
Using a mixing jug, beat the oil, vinegar, vanilla, sugar and water together. Mix well.
Make a well in the flour mix and add the wet mix. Beat this together slowly and when mixed through beat with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.The mixture should be the consistency of a thick batter. Cook 45-60 minutes.When cooked, remove the cake from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out to cool.